August 20, 2014, 04:44:26 PMLatest Member: GLabonte

Author Topic: RX8 Problem - Need Help  (Read 1962 times)

Offline godson

• RX8'er
RX8 Problem - Need Help
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:03:05 PM »
ok.. had this problem since last night

Went into the car, started the car, but the car wouldnt start. Cranked the car, chet-chet-chet until so many times, and it didn't start.
Finally after about 10 minutes of following the de-flooding procedure, finally started the car. Drove for 15-20 minutes/ redline and then parked somewhere. When I attempted to start the car again, the car also had alot of problem starting up. Had to "chet chet chet" the engine until so many times. When the car finally started, I revved the engine while the car is at P, with handbrake on. Theres white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

ok, this morning, the car will not start up at all. Theres a heavy smell of petrol. I tried the deflooding procedure but the car wont start up. I checked my dipstick, and theres a milky white coating on it.

The nearby mechanic (who have no knowledge of rx8) came and attempted to jump-start the battery. The car still cannot start.
Then he said I blew my head gasket and I have to replace the gasket at RM8K? 0_0

Can anybody help me on this? thanks

Offline Andy

• RX8'er
Re: RX8 Problem - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:13:40 PM »
check fuel pump. i havesimilar ccase before.

Offline godson

• RX8'er
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
alright thanks andy will check the fuel pump.

But on the other hand, I've heard about engine failure/ due to low compression/ blown engine

Is this the symptom of a engine failure?

Or is engine failure - you can drive the car, but there's no power?
Now I have only problems starting up the car, on the road there's no loss in power.

Offline InitialD

• RX8'er
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
The nearby mechanic (who have no knowledge of rx8) came and attempted to jump-start the battery. The car still cannot start.
Then he said I blew my head gasket and I have to replace the gasket at RM8K? 0_0

Head gasket? LOL!! Hahahaha... Rotary engine got no piston..so no cylinder walls..so got no cylinder head... so got no head gasket

As for the milky white coating on your dip stick, read this
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081222133857AAeInUu

dacmo

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:56:07 PM »
I bet the mechanic would be shocked if you took u car to him when he opens the engine up. He's probably tell u he found that the problem is that your pistons have disintegrated. hahahaa  j/k

Offline chadmz

• RX8'er
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:57:28 PM »
i think you shouldnt redline it, it's a mistake.

if u couldnt start at all. this is possibly 'blown' engine

if your engine failure = low compression, still can drive, the rotor still roll, if u give more gas, the rotor still roll faster like normal. Loss of power could means lost torque because of inproper combustion.

the apex seal, corner seal inside the engine are worn and produce gap, thus lost compression, The first compression  that responsible to ignite the fuel failed, so it takes u more crank attempts to start.

and during the start up, the unburn fuel come out from the exhaust so.. u smell the fuel.

time to overhaul/rebuild

Offline csl

• RX8'er
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:34:07 AM »
White coating on dip stick? what about the oil color? if the oil is like orange yogurt, means water went into the engine = housing cracked or something that let water to go into the engine.

White smoke coming out = unburnt fuel. So the fuel pump should be ok. Jumped battery = eliminated low battery possibility. Can redline (and without miss firing) means the engine not (totally) blown yet  LOL . The rest of possibility as below:

1. low compression - may caused by seal worn/leaked or minor damage on housing(s).
2. Ignition system failure - Maybe coil, spark plug or spark plug cable with loosed connection or parts fail.
3. Intake problem - clogged air filter (most likely not)
4. Sensor failure/false sensor reading - front O2, throttle possition, water temp,
5. Switch contact - I don't know much about AT car, but on manual car, there is a switch on the clutch. Need to press down the clutch to enable the cranking. If your car has such a safety function, then need to check the switch's function.
6. Relay - There is an ignition relay in the engine bay relay/fuse box. Try to swap it with head light. The box cover has a label to tell you which is which. All relays are very difficult to pull. If you use a plier, make sure don't clamp too hard, else will break the relay. No need to guess, I broke once. Luckily still working.

After change or whatever done to your car, before you start cranking, press the fuel pedal all the way down and crank for 8 seconds 1st. I guess you know this procedure.

I don't know where you stay. But if far away from KL, then may need to contact Ah Choy H&M and ask if he willing to come over your place.

Offline csl

• RX8'er
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 08:39:12 AM »
forgot to mention. Sometimes, carbon may jam the apex seal and the seal will not able to be pushed out for the sealing. Need to add some oil or something to the chamber b=via the special port on the rotor housing (normally covered with black cap). Driver side, somewhere below the air pump, behind the thermostat area.

Offline godson

• RX8'er
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 09:48:21 AM »
alright thanks alot guys

Replacing the spark plugs or ignition coils not so much of a problem as rebuilding the entire engine  LOL
But the thing I'm surprised about is this.. after I managed to crank it up a few days ago, I drove around town and the engine was perfectly fine, can redline as usual with no increase in temperature..

Then after I turned the engine off... The same problem with starting the car happened. And it was damn embarassing la, considering I was on a date LOL

If the engine is as what chad said, time for an overhaul/rebuild, there couldn't be any possibility that I can still drive the car around like normal after "chet-chet-chet" it alot of times?

Csl, I think I remembered you having a blown engine before, what are the causes and the symptoms of a blown engine?

dacmo

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 10:14:49 AM »
Car being hard to start sounds like low compression, doesn't it?

Offline csl

• RX8'er
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »
If engine blown, can hardly rev above 3k rpm, or cannot even start.

If have low compression, be it seal worn or some scratches on the housing that caused a leak (stationary gear's brass bushing/bearing worn can cause low compression too, but engine will shake a lot), the car will be difficult to start at any temperature or environment. But it is possible to rev over red line. Mine was having extremely low compression. Before found deep scratches on the housing, I mean just before open it up and check, car still can go red line, Still can fetch above 188ps on wheel and still can join the friday TT  LOL LOL LOL . Just difficult to start. Anyway, mine had no white smoke though. Please note that, crank too long will damage the starter. Max 8 seconds each time.

Fyi, if you are replacing yours with a new engine, I'm willing to buy your old stationary gears, 1 big and 1 small. Reason is for R&D. No money, so please sell me cheap cheap la  ;D

Offline HS

• RX8'er
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »
BroÔºå ‚Äúpress the fuel pedal all the way down and crank for 8 seconds 1st.‚Äú this is what procedure?  thank for share!

White coating on dip stick? what about the oil color? if the oil is like orange yogurt, means water went into the engine = housing cracked or something that let water to go into the engine.

White smoke coming out = unburnt fuel. So the fuel pump should be ok. Jumped battery = eliminated low battery possibility. Can redline (and without miss firing) means the engine not (totally) blown yet  LOL . The rest of possibility as below:

1. low compression - may caused by seal worn/leaked or minor damage on housing(s).
2. Ignition system failure - Maybe coil, spark plug or spark plug cable with loosed connection or parts fail.
4. Sensor failure/false sensor reading - front O2, throttle possition, water temp,
5. Switch contact - I don't know much about AT car, but on manual car, there is a switch on the clutch. Need to press down the clutch to enable the cranking. If your car has such a safety function, then need to check the switch's function.
6. Relay - There is an ignition relay in the engine bay relay/fuse box. Try to swap it with head light. The box cover has a label to tell you which is which. All relays are very difficult to pull. If you use a plier, make sure don't clamp too hard, else will break the relay. No need to guess, I broke once. Luckily still working.

After change or whatever done to your car, before you start cranking, press the fuel pedal all the way down and crank for 8 seconds 1st. I guess you know this procedure.

I don't know where you stay. But if far away from KL, then may need to contact Ah Choy H&M and ask if he willing to come over your place.

All happening will benefit to us if we learn and enjoy; Take it, accept it, enjoy it  !!

ericrx8

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »
I think chadmz has done quite a good job in diagnosing the problem with precise pinpoint to each symptoms mentioned

What u listed is a bunch or rubbish, and rather long winded too. Nothing personal bro.

Offline csl

• RX8'er
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
BroÔºå ‚Äúpress the fuel pedal all the way down and crank for 8 seconds 1st.‚Äú this is what procedure?  thank for share!

Deflood procedure

Offline csl

• RX8'er
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 04:34:32 PM »
I think chadmz has done quite a good job in diagnosing the problem with precise pinpoint to each symptoms mentioned

What u listed is a bunch or rubbish, and rather long winded too. Nothing personal bro.

Yes, bunch of rubbish. By right should just send the car to the mechanic and prepare to open a RM23k check. I'm sorry for wasting the bandwidth and your time but personally I don't simply trust any mechanic words except I had check my car by myself and eliminate as much as possibilities as possible then compare the mechanic diagnostic result if make sense. I don't think anyone would like to pay an engine price for a water flooded spark plug cable boots. I'm very poor and have to live like that else will turn into bankruptcy after keep on paying something that shouldn't be paid. You know la, mechanized engineer's salary is far lower than businessman/banker's income. Replacing an engine is like sliding off a piece of meat from 1 side of the butt, not only pain but have to suffer for long time. You rich people will never need to feel it so the best solution with shortest sentences is - just throw the car to the mechanic and tell them when you wanna collect. As simple as that. If ever need help, there will be only asking for the best workshop available around. Or maybe ask if any logistic company can send the car to „ÄíÔºëÔºîÔºìÔºçÔºêÔºêÔºêÔºí„ÄÄÊù±‰∫¨ÈÉΩ§ßÁî∞Âå∫ÂüéÂçóÂ≥∂ÔºíÔºçÔºíÔºçÔºñ.